Built in 1928 by the architects Georg Bauer and Siegfried Friedländer, who were influenced by the New Objectivity and Bauhaus architecture movement of the time. The listed building was initially developed as the department store Jonass, the first German department store to provide an in-house credit card facility, subsequently became the headquarters of the Hitler Youth after the Jewish owners were expelled. Post World War 2 the building became the headquarters of the Central Committee of the SED for a short time and later the institute for Marxism-Leninism, which contained the archive of the SED party. After reunification, the property was acquired in 2008 by Cresco in a dilapidated state after being derelict for decades.
The Soho House Berlin is a meeting place for the creative scene, with the highest design standards, which is now an integral part of Berlin and has provided a breath of new life into this historic building.